Thorsten Strufe is professor for Privacy and IT-Security at Technische Universität Dresden, Co-Leader of the Resilience Path of the German Center of Excellence cfaed, PI of the Joint Research Centre HAEC, PI of the Graduate School "RoSI", and PI of the 5G-Lab Germany.
His research interests lie in the areas of large scale distributed systems and social networking services, with an emphasis on privacy and resilience. Recently, he has focused on studying user behavior and security in online social networks and possibilities to provide privacy-preserving and secure social networking services, partially through decentralization. One of the challenges driving him is the question, how competitive online and mobile services can be created without comprehensive collection of personal information, which hence respect the privacy of their users. He was appointed professor for for Peer-to-Peer networks at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany, from 2009 to 2014, and visiting professor for Dependable Distributed Systems at University of Mannheim, Germany, throughout 2011.
Previously, he took a post as senior researcher at EURECOM, where he was working with Refik Molva on security with a special focus on online social networks and did a post doc at Technische Universität Ilmenau, working on resilient networking technologies.
He received the PhD degree from Technische Universitat Ilmenau in 2007, which was advised by Günter Schäfer and Dietrich Reschke, and was awarded with the ''FFK Preis fuer die beste theoretisch orientierte Dissertation'' (FFK price for the best theory oriented dissertation). His thesis deals with the construction of network-efficient overlay topologies for live multimedia streaming, and means to making them especially resilient towards both the failure of nodes and DoS attacks.
- Stefanie Roos, Martin Byrenheid, Clemens Deusser, and Thorsten Strufe. BD-CAT: Balanced Dynamic Content Addressing in Trees. In IEEE INFOCOM, 2017
- Stefanie Roos, Martin Beck, and Thorsten Strufe. Anonymous Addresses for Efficient and Resilient Routing in F2F Overlays. In IEEE INFOCOM, 2016
- Stefanie Roos and Thorsten Strufe. Dealing with dead ends – efficient routing in darknets. Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems (ToMPECS), 2016
- Stefanie Roos and Thorsten Strufe. On the impossibility of efficient self-stabilization in virtual overlays with churn. In IEEE INFOCOM, pages 298 – 306, 2015
- Stefanie Roos, Benjamin Schiller, Stefan Hacker, and Thorsten Strufe:Measuring freenet in the wild: Censorship-resilience under observation. In PETS, 2014
- Wolfgang Effelsberg, Ralf Steinmetz, and Thorsten Strufe (Eds.): "Benchmarking Peer-to-Peer Systems - Understanding Quality of Service in Large-Scale Distributed Systems.", LNCS State of the Art Surveys, 7847, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013
- Damiano Carra, Pietro Michiardi, Hani Salah, and Thorsten Strufe: "On the impact of incentives in aMule." Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2013
- Thomas Paul, Martin Stopczynski, Daniel Puscher, Melanie Volkamer, and Thorsten Strufe. C4PS – Helping Facebookers Manage their Privacy Settings. In SocInfo, 2012
- Frederik Armknecht and Thorsten Strufe. An Efficient Distributed Privacy-preserving Recommendation System. In IEEE Med-Hoc-Net, 2011
- Betim Berjani and Thorsten Strufe. A Recommendation System for Spots in Location-Based Online Social Networks. In EuroSys/SNS, 2011
- Michael Brinkmeier, Guenter Schaefer, and Thorsten Strufe. Optimally DoS resistant P2P Topologies for Live Multimedia Streaming. Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2009.
- Leyla Bilge, Thorsten Strufe, Davide Balzarotti, and Engin Kirda. All Your Contacts Are Belong to Us: Automated Identity Theft Attacks on Social Networks. In Proceedings of the 18th International World Wide Web Conference, 2009.
- L. A. Cutillo, R. Molva, and T. Strufe. Safebook: A privacy-preserving online social network leveraging on real-life trust. In: Communication Magazine, IEEE, Volume 47, Issue 12, December, 2009
Selected Invited Talks
- "Why we shouldn’t give up on diversity on the Web, just yet", Invited talk at TEDxDres-
den, Dresden, Germany, 11.09.2016
- "Anonymized Routing for privacy-preserving Online Services", Invited talk at Sandia
National Labs, Livermore, CA, USA 16. 04. 2016
- "Policies addressing software- and hardware vulnerabilities and the Internet architecture/backbone", Invited talk at the European Parliament’s Committee for Civil Liberties, Justice, and Home Affairs, Brussels, 15. 12. 2015
- “Towards ’Dark’ Social Networking Services”, Invited talk, at MIT Media Lab, Boston, USA, 03. 06. 2014
- Towards "Dark" Social Networking Services, University of Berkeley/ICSI, USA, 27. 03. 2013
- Smart Sensor Network for Traffic Pollution Monitoring, Ministry for Transport -- Transport Development and Strategy Institute, Hanoi, Vietnam, 01. 03. 2013
- What technological support for privacy do we need or need to improve?, Panelist at Google Faculty Summit, Zürich, Switzerland, 12. 05. 2011
- Future Directions of Social IPTV, International IT-Convergence Workshop for Future Networks and Services, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, 26. 11. 2010
- Wie verändert das Internet unsere Kommunikation und Lebenswelt?, Wissenschaftsforum des Deutschen Bundestages, Germany, 3. 11. 2010
- Using Motifs to Optimize Structured P2P Substrates, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, 11. 06. 2009
- ACM ht Best Paper: "Small-Scale Incident Detection based on Microposts"
- Distinguished TPC Member Award at IEEE INFOCOM 2015
- SSS Best Paper: On the Resilience of Pull-based P2P Streaming Systems against DoS Attacks
- ISCC Best Paper: Characterizing Graph-Theoretic Properties of a Large-Scale DHT: Measurements vs. Simulations
- SpringSim Best Paper: DarknetSim - A Simulation Framework for Social Overlays
- FFK price for the best theory-oriented dissertation
- Promotion Dr.-Ing. ”summa cum laude“ (with highest honors)
Selected scientific services
- Area Editor in Elsevier's "Online Social Networks and Media Journal"
- Editor in PeerJ’s OpenAccess Journal “Computer Science”
- Area Editor in Elsevier’s “Computer Communications Journal”
- Area TPC Chair at IEEE INFOCOM 2017, Atlanta, USA
- Area TPC Chair at IEEE INFOCOM 2016, San Francisco, USA
- Editor Special Issue “Online Social Networks” in Elsevier’s „Computer Communica- tions Journal”, 2015
- TPC Member of the ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2015)
- TPC Member of the IEEE INFOCOM 2015 (Distinguished TPC Member)
- TPC Member of WWW 2015
- TPC Member of IEEE CNS 2015
- TPC Member of PerCom 2015
- Co-chair of the Workshop on “Privacy and Inference” 2015, Dresden, Germany
- Symposium Chair for „Communication and Information Systems Security” at IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2014, Sydney, Australien
- TPC Member of the IEEE INFOCOM 2014
- TPC Member of IEEE CNS 2014
- TPC Member of PerCom 2014
- Co-Organizer of Dagstuhl Seminar 13062 “Decentralizing Systems for Privacy Preserva- tion”, with Sonja Buchegger, Jon Crowcroft, and Balachander Krishnamurthy, 2013
- Co-chair of the Workshop “Security and Social Networks (SESOC)”, in conjunction with IEEE PerCom, 2010 - 2013
- TPC Member of WWW 2013
- TPC Member of PerCom 2013
- TPC Member of IEEE HotPOST 2012
- TPC chair for “Network Sciences and Social Networks” at the 21st IEEE International Conference for Computer Communication Networks (ICCCN), 2012, München, Germany
- TPC co-chair for “Social Networks” at the 14th International Symposium for Stabiliza- tion, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems (SSS), 2012, Toronto, Canada
- TPC Member of IEEE ICC 2012
- TPC Member of IEEE WoWMoM 2012
- TPC Member of IEEE Globecom 2012
- TPC Member of IEEE MobiSec 2012
- TPC Member of IEEE HotPOST 2012
Selection of other services
- Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the School of Engineering, TU Dresden
- Steering committee member (LG) of the SIG Communication and Distributed Systems KuVS (Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme) of the German Computer Science Foundation GI.
- Vertrauensdozent der Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (Liaison Professor of the German National Merit Foundation)