Institute for Communication Sciences
The Institute for Communication Sciences (IfK) consists of three professorships with more than 20 employees. The managing director of the Institute is Prof. Dr. Lutz M. Hagen.
- The IfK was founded in 1993 by Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Donsbach (*1949-2015). Until 2015, he occupied the Professorship for Communication Sciences I, which is currently advertising for a successor. About ten years after being founded, the IfK expanded to a second professorship, which has been held by Lutz M. Hagen since 2004. At the moment, Dr. Cornelia Brantner is standing in for the third professorship until 2017.
- Additionally, the Ifk is strengthened by Honorary Professor Dietram Scheufele and Guest Professor Tobias Liebert.
- At the moment, some 500 students are pursuing the bachelor’s in “Media Research/Media Praxis” and the master’s in “Applied Media Research” with the IfK.
- Multiple research projects are currently underway at the IfK, among them the project “Algorithmic Structural Change of the Public” (AlgStrOeff), which is being supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, as well as the project “Civil Society Developments in Dresden” (ZIGEDD).
- Since the Institute’s year of establishment, 1993, it has been supported through its own booster association.