History of TU Dresden

[19th century] [20th century] [21st century]

The 19th Century

[1828]  [1833]  [1844/46]  [1851]  [1865]  [1871]  [1873]  [1875]  [1883]  [1890]  


The Technical School is founded in Dresden and the Royal Saxon Commerce Deputation takes over the administration. Wilhelm Gotthelf Lohrmann (1796-1840), who did great scientific service as Inspector of the Saxon Cameral Survey, is the director. For the time being, the domicile of the institute is located very modestly in the Garden Pavilion on Brühlsche Terrasse and in a vault of the Kuffenhaus on Zeughaus Square.

Gartenpavillon der Brühlschen Terrasse

Garden pavillion of the Brühlsche Terrasse © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv

Outstanding teachers were convinced of the merits of working at the institute. Among them was Johann Andreas Schubert, designer of the first operational German steam locomotive "Saxonia."

Entwurf der Dampflokomotive "Saxonia"

Plan of the steam locomotive "Saxonia" © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Due to the need for substantially more space, the Technical School is moved to the former armory at Jüdenhof.


A new building is erected at Anton Square, according to the plans of the architects Heine (1802-1880) and Arndt (1807-1889), to house the Technical School. Gottfried Semper (1803-1879) gives his expert opinion of the new building, in which he also writes about fundamental thoughts concerning architectural problems.

Gebäude der Technischen Bildungsanstalt am Antonsplatz

Building of the Technischen Bildungsanstalt at Antonsplatz © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The establishment is renamed the Royal Polytechnical School. Under the initiative of the Director, Julius Ambrosius Hülsse (1812-1876), and with the close cooperation of the Royal Government Commissioner Dr. Weinlig, the "Upper Department" is divided into three sections that concentrate the students into three subject areas. The right exists to award certificates, based on "Matriculation Examinations," which allow the bearer to pursue a subject as a trade.

Julius Ambrosius Hülsse

Julius Ambrosius Hülsse © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Introduction of a new organizational plan. The "Lower Department" now sets up a "General Course" that all students must take. The "Sections" of the "Upper Department" are developed into four technical schools: Mechanical Technical School (A), Engineering School (B), Chemistry Technical School (C), and another school whose tasks consist of training future teachers of Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Technology. The program duration at the technical schools is set at three years. The distinction is now made between "students" who take the "General Course" and students who attend the Technical School.

Stundenplan für die obere Abteilung der Techn. Bildungsanstalt

Timetable for the upper division at the "Technische Bildungsanstaltalt" © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


In recognition of the high level of the education offered in technology and the natural sciences, the school is renamed the Royal Saxon Polytechnical College. The Polytechnical College takes on the character of a university. The administrative hierarchy is still organized autocratically, however. The technical schools are now referred to as departments. 281 students are enrolled at the college (more than 60 % belong to the Engineering Department).


Gustav Zeuner (1828-1907), internationally renowned Thermodynamics Engineer and Epistemologist, is appointed Director of the Polytechnical College. Besides taking classes in the Technological Sciences and Natural Sciences, studying the Arts and Linguistics is also highly regarded. Thus, the following subjects are taught in the "General Sciences Department": Economics, Jurisprudence, Philosophy, History, Art History, History of Literature, and Modern Languages.

Gustav Anton Zeuner

Gustav Anton Zeuner © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The representative main building of the Polytechnical College is completed near the main train station. With the founding of the Structural Engineering Department, the tradition of teaching architecture at the college is established.

Hauptgebäude des Polytechnikums am Bismarckplatz

Main building of the Polytechnic Institute at Bismarckplatz © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Introduction of the Diplom Examination in place of the Absolutorium. Students are now required to write a Master's thesis, as is the case at the Universities of Technology in Vienna, Graz, and Stuttgart.


The status of the Polytechnical College increases. It is now called the Royal Saxon Technical College. Ernst Hartig (1836-1900), professor of Mechanical Technology, becomes the first elected College Rector. 308 students, including 28 foreigners, are registered at the university.

Amtliche Bekanntmachung vom 3. Februar 1890

Official announcement on 3 February 1890 © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv

► back to the top of the page

THE 20. Century

[1900] [1902] [1913] [1914/18] [1918] [1919] [1921] [1922] [1923] [1924] [1925] [1928] [1929] [1933/34] [1936] [1942] [1945] [1946] [1949] [1950] [1952] [1954] [1955] [1956] [1957] [1961] [1965] [1968] [1986] [1990] [1991] [1993] [1994] [1995] [1996] [1997] [1998] [1999]


The Doctoral Degree Regulations take effect.
Friedrich Siemens (1826-1904) receives the first honorary doctorate from the TH Dresden. 1007 students study at the TH Dresden (Technical College of Dresden), including 232 foreigners, primarily from Eastern and Southern Europe, but also from overseas. According to the plans of Karl Weißbach (1841-1905), large buildings are erected for the Mechanical Engineering laboratories and the Electrotechnology Institute on the grounds at the foot of the Räcknitzer Höhe (on George Bähr Street and Helmholtz Street in the southern suburb that was being developed at the time) . Shortly thereafter, this complex is expanded to include an Electricity and Heating Power Station.

Gebäudekomplex der Mechanischen Abteilung

Building complex of the Mechanical Department © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Arthur Schloßmann (1867-1932) is appointed Associate Professor of Physiological Chemistry and General Physiology. As early as 1897, Schloßmann, together with the major industrialist Karl August Lingner (1861-1916) and other Dresden citizens, founds the "Verein Kinderpoliklinik in Johannstadt mit Säuglingsheim" that erects the first in-patient institute for the care of infants in the world in 1898. The institute becomes the precedent for today's Children's Hospital of the Carl Gustav Carus Faculty of Medicine.

Karl August Lingner

Karl August Lingner © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The Faculty of Civil Engineering receives a large and representative new building, known today as "Beyer-Bau".

Gebäudekomplex der Bauingenieur-Abteilung

Building complex of the Department of Civil Engineering © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


322 members of the College are killed in battle during World War I in their role as enlisted men, non-commissioned officers, and officers. Among them is fighter pilot and former TH Dresden student Max Immelmann (1890-1916).


The Institute of Automotive Engineering is founded under the direction of Adolph Nägel (1875-1939).

Institut für Kraftfahrtwesen

Institute of Vehicle Engineering © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The Institute of Metallurgy and Materials Science is founded.


Introduction of the Foreign Studies Seminar.


Founding of the "Society of Sponsors and Friends of the Technical College of Dresden", which the leading representatives of the Saxon State Government, industry, and banks join.

Establishment of the association "Economic Aid for the German Student Body" (since 1929 known as the "Deutsches Studentenwerk" at the TH Dresden). After the first successful efforts in the form of the "Dresden University Economic Society," this Dresden student self-help organization develops into one of the leading organizations of its kind in Germany.
The General Department is separated from the Mathematics-Natural Sciences Department.

Satzung der Gesellschaft von Förderern und Freunden der Technischen Hochschule Dresden e.V.

Statutes of the Association of Friends and Promoters of the Technische Hochschule Dresden e.V © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Economics becomes a subject in the General Department of the TH Dresden. As opposed to at the universities, the focus at TH Dresden is not only on technical subjects, but also on Industrial Psychology and Psychotechnology.


Incorporation of the College of Education Dresden-Strehlen into the General Department of the College (as of 1925 known as the Department of Cultural Studies). Economics, Political Science, Jurisprudence, Pedagogy, History, Art History, Comparative Linguistics, and Comparative Literature are firmly established at the TH. The university character of the college thereby steadily grows.


Founding of the Institute of Measurement Engineering and Interchangeable Manufacture under the direction of Georg Berndt (1880-1972). Expansion of the Physics Institute, including setting up the Laboratory for Applied Radiography.


Completion of the residence hall on the site donated by Theodor Bienert..

Studentenhaus an der Mommsenstraße

Fraternity Building in Mommsenstraße © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Under the rectorship of Adolph Nägel, the TH Dresden celebrates its 100th anniversary on June 4, 1928. The university now has 63 full, 22 associate, and 17 honorary professors. 24 private lecturers are also teaching. The number of students reaches 2705, with an additional 332 students attending and sitting in on lectures.


By ministerial decree, the Tharandt Forestry Academy (later called the Forestry College), founded by Heinrich Cotta (1763-1844) and one of the oldest academic training institutions for forestry in the world, is annexed to the TH Dresden as a department.


The College is forced into line and the Principle of Leadership is introduced. Because of the "Law for the Reestablishment of Permanent Civil Service", famous university teachers are forced out of their posts and suffer reprisals. Among them are the physicist and discoverer of the crystal photon effect, Harry Dember (1882-1943), the romanist Victor Klemperer (1881-1960), the doctor and hygienist Rainer Fetscher (1895-1945), the political scientist Robert Wilbrandt (1875-1954), and Paul Luchtenberg (1890-1973), professor of Pedagogy, Philosophy, and Psychology, and future co-founder of the FDP and Culture Secretary of North-Rhein Westphalia.

Viktor Klemperer - Romanist an der Kulturwissenschaftlichen Abteilung

Viktor Klemperer, professor of Romance languages and literature at the Department of Cultural Science © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The College of Education is separated from the TH Dresden.


The College departments are renamed faculties:

  •     Faculty of General Science
  •     Faculty of Civil Engineering
  •     Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
  •     Faculty of Forestry Science


Air raids over Dresden on February 13 and 14, 1945 cause great loss of life at the university. Many buildings are heavily damaged or destroyed.Soviet occupation forces take control of the College. Most members of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) are fired from their posts as teachers or administrators. Some of those who are let go are later re-hired.

Zerstörtes Rektoratsgebäude der TH Dresden

Destroyed Rectorate Building of the TH Dresden © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The Technical College of Dresden reopens under the most difficult conditions. The internationally recognized Professor of the Bases of Mechanical Engineering and Conveying Engineering, Dr. Enno Heidebroek (1876-1955), becomes the first rector.
Setting up of:

  •     Faculty of Education
  •     Faculty of Municipal Economics
  •     Faculty of Forestry

491 students are enrolled with the permission of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany (SMAD) (453 students actually begin to study). They are taught by 42 university teachers, including several lecturers and assistants.


7 Faculties are established (including the faculty that prepares young factory and agricultural workers for studying at universities that emerged from an institution for preliminary studies): Fakultät für Mathematik und Naturwissenschaften

  •     Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
  •     Faculty of Civil Engineering
  •     Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering
  •     Faculty of Economics and Traffic and Transportation Science
  •     Faculty of Forestry Science
  •     Faculty of Education and Cultural Studies


On April 25, 1950, the foundation stone is laid for the new complex of buildings on the road "Zellescher Weg", which today houses institutes of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Since 1961, a part of the building complex has been called "Willers-Bau". In 1994, the lecture hall building is named "Trefftz-Bau". On April 20, 1951, the Faculty of Transport and Communications is opened and the foundation stone is laid for the building complex on the street "Hettnerstraße".

Gebäudekomplex am Zelleschen Weg

Building Complex in Zelleschen Weg © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


On the basis of a central decision, the Faculty of Transport and Communicationsat the Technical College of Dresden becomes the College of Transport and Communications in September 1952. The Faculty of Electrical Engineering is founded (until 1951 there was a Department of Electrical Engineering within the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering). Among the most well-known scientists are Heinrich Barkhausen (1881-1956) and Ludwig Binder (1881-1958).

Heinrich Barkhausen

Heinrich Barkhausen (1881-1956) © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The Department of Lightweight Construction is founded on instructions of the State Secretariat for Higher Education.


Already in 1950, construction begins on the new Low-Voltage Institute called the Barkhausen Building. Until 1955, the first three stages of construction of the extensive building complex between Helmholtzstraße and Georg-Schumann-Straße are completed. The complex is used by the Department of Electrical Engineering. Founding of the Department of Nuclear Technology. It remains until 1962.
There are 9 Departments.

1956 - 1960

On the North side of the road "Zellescher Weg" the "Andreas-Schubert-Bau" for the newly-founded Department of Nuclear Technology is erected. In 1962, this department is dissolved. Today it is used by various institutes of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.


Andreas Schubert Building (built 1956 - 1960) © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Aus der bisherigen Fakultät für Leichtbau der TH Dresden wird die Fakultät für Luftfahrtwesen gebildet. Im Jahre 1961 erfolgt deren Auflösung.


The TH Dresden takes over the former District Court building. The construction and renovation of the building complex that was heavily destroyed in the war lasts until 1961. Primary users are the Faculties of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Hydroscience and Forestry. Since 1961 it is called "Georg Schumann Bau". After 1990, parts of the building complex are renamed "Hülsse-Bau" and "Tillich-Bau".

Gebäudekomplex des ehemaligen Landgerichtes

Building Complex of the former District Court © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


The Technical College of Dresden receives the status of Technical University. During the ceremonies on October 5, 1961, the rectorship is given from Werner Gruner (1904-1995) to Kurt Schwabe (1905-1983). Kurt Schwabe was the leading sponsor of the founding of the university. 10,741 students are registered, of which 4 per cent are foreigners.


The Technical College of Dresden receives the status of Technical University. During the ceremonies on October 5, 1961, the rectorship is given from Werner Gruner (1904-1995) to Kurt Schwabe (1905-1983). Kurt Schwabe was the leading sponsor of the founding of the university. 10,741 students are registered, of which 4 per cent are foreigners.


Barkhausen-Buildung (built: 1950 - 1961) © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


In accordance with the 3rd University Reform, the structure of the TU Dresden (Dresden University of Technology) is also radically changed. Structures which have grown over history are negated under increasing party-political influence. The traditional scientific institutes are done away with. The Departments lose their original significance. 22 Sections are formed.


The Dresden Engineering University, rich in tradition and founded in 1861 as a trade school, is united with the TU Dresden and becomes the Center for Information Studies of the university system of the GDR. At the end of 1990, the Faculty of Computer Science is founded.


Setting up of Faculties (February 12, 1990):

  •     Faculty of Social Sciences
  •     Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
  •     Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
  •     Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
  •     Faculty of Construction, Hydroscience, and Forestry

Election of the new senate from the circle of chosen members of the Academic Council (February 26, 1990).
Election of Professor Günther Landgraf [2] of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering to Rector by the Academic Council (Investiture on March 12, 1990).
11,220 students are registered, of which 8.6 % are foreigners.


The Senior Governmental Director Alfred Post, formerly Vice-Chancellor of the Universität-Gesamthochschule Essen, becomes Chancellor of TU Dresden. The reconstruction of the University Administration begins. 13,000 students are enrolled.
Beginning of the integration of the "Karl Friedrich Wilhelm Wander" College of Education and the university part of the "Friedrich List" College of Transport and Communications into the TU Dresden. Preparation of the founding of a Faculty of Medicine at the TU Dresden.

Festive refounding of the Society of Sponsors and Friends of the Dresden University of Technology. The first founding celebrates its 70th anniversary. The TU Dresden becomes a member of the German Research Association (DFG).
Founding of the Academy of Further Education and Transfer of Knowledge at the Dresden University of Technology e. V.

Gründung der Medizinischen Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus

Foundation of the Faculty of Medicine "Carl Gustav Carus" © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Confirmation and newfounding of the following faculties on the basis of the Law concerning the Structure of the University System and the Universities in the Free State of Saxony of April 10, 1992

    Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
    Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
    Faculty of Electrical Engineering
    Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (until April 30, 1993)
    Faculty of Philosophy
    Result of inclusion of parts of the - Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (April 30 / May 1,1993)
    Faculty of Linguistics and Literature
    Result of take over of parts of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (April 30 / May 1,1993)
    Faculty of Computer Science
    November 6, 1990 founding of the faculty; celebration on April 18, 1991
    Faculty of Education Sciences
    July 9, 1993, founding of the Faculty
    Faculty of Law
    February 12, 1991 founding of the Faculty; celebration on March 7, 1991
    Faculty of Transport and Communications "Friedrich List"
    November 6, 1992 founding of the Faculty and celebration
    Faculty of Economics and Business Management
    October 12, 1993 founding of the Faculty
    Faculty of Medicine Carl Gustav Carus
    October 1, 1993 founding of the Faculty; October 25, 1993 celebration
    Faculty of Construction, Hydroscience, and Forestry
    Dissolved in 1994. Formation of three new Faculties:
    Faculty of Forestry, Water Science, and Geosciences (February 21, 1994)
    Faculty of Civil Engineering (January 1, 1994)
    Faculty of Architecture (May 17, 1994)

Mannesmann- Stiftungslehrstuhl für Mobile Nachrichtensysteme

Mannesmann foundation chair for mobile communication systems © Lutz Liebert, AVMZ TUD


Von-Gerber Building © Repro, TUDresden, Kustodie/Universitätsarchiv


Academic Council meets at the TU Dresden and for the first time in the new Federal States. The Hannah Arendt Institute for the Research of Totalitarianism is opened on the basis of a comprehensive resolution of the state parliament.


Professor Achim Mehlhorn of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences is elected Rector by the Council of the TU Dresden in June 1994 (Re-elected in 1997).
A Heart Center is opened at the Faculty of Medicine.


The Technology Center Dresden receives a new building as a science transfer partner of the University. The University opens the reconstructed Guest House on the street "Einsteinstraße".

TechnologieZentrum Dresden GmbH

Technology Centre Dresden © TU Dresden, Archiv


Foundation stone is laid for the new Lecture Hall Center of the TU Dresden with four large lecture halls, twelve seminar rooms and one art room, with a total of 3,470 seats.
Topping-out ceremony for another nursing house at the main entrance of the University Hospital and for a second Guest House at Weber Square.
Founding of the Institute for Air and Space Technology.
Founding of the Saxon State Library, State and University Library Dresden on the basis of a law.
First heart transplant in Dresden (in 1977 the first liver transplant within the then COMMICON), Handing over of the Bone Marrow Transplant Center of the University Hospital.
Festive celebration on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the reopening of the TH/TU Dresden.

Architekturwettbewerb für ein neues Hörsaalzentrum der TU Dresden

Architecture competition for the new Auditorium Centre atTU Dresden © Lutz Liebert, AVMZ TUD


The Foundation Association of German Science awarded the title "Reform University" to TU Dresden due to its innovative reform ideas and makes available to it the sum of 600 000 DM for continuing these activities. The university has developed a competent management structure; the distribution of resources to the faculties is carried out according to performance-related criteria and, compared to other universities, controlling is extremely well developed.  Marketing and public relations are exemplary, according to the evaluation by the Foundation Association. Thus, TU Dresden is among the most innovative universities of Germany.

Roofing ceremony for the Auditorium Centre in Bergstraße.

Inaugural ceremony of the new building of the Cardio-Vascular Centre of Dresden on the site of the University Hospital "Carl Gustav Carus" (29 September 1999). It is financed by the private "Roland Ernst Foundation  for Public Health" and by a real estate fund.

Marketing der TU Dresden

Marketing activities of the TU Dresden © Karsten Eckold, UJ TUD


Since January the High Performance Calculation Centre (ZHR), as a centrally located scientific institution, supports the faculties in their teaching and research tasks.

The new Auditorium Centre of TU Dresden will open on 13 October 1998. Herewith, TU Dresden has at its disposal the, so far, largest and most modern  Auditorium Centre of East Germany. Six lecture halls with a total of 2.840 seats, among them the auditorium maximum with 1.000 seats, as well as 10 seminar rooms and one drawing hall are available to professors and students.

Hörsaalzentrum der TU Dresden

Lecture hall (Auditorium Centre) of TU Dresden © Frank Seidel, TUD


On 27 April 1999, Kofi Annan, the General Secretary of the United Nations, will be awarded the degree of honorary doctor of the TU Dresden in recognition of his excellent qualification in economics and his outstanding achievements in the planning and the implementation of the reorganisation of the UN as well as in the creation of citizen-friendly and quickly-reacting UN structures. With the degree of honorary doctor being conferred upon Kofi Annan, the international politician is honored by the Faculty of Economics for his academic and practical efforts in the propagation of sustained world-wide economisation based on social market economy.

The Media Design Center (MDC) of the University commences its work. As a centre of high competency the MDC offers research-relevant services in the field of virtual learning and teaching within and without the university.
Verleihung der Ehrendoktorwürde der TU Dresden an den UN-Generalsekretär Kofi Annan

The General Secretary of the United Nations, Mr. Kofi Annan, is awarded of the honorary doctoral degree

UN-Generalsekretär Kofi Annan wird Ehrendoktor

The General Secretary of the United Nations, Mr. Kofi Annan, is awarded of the honorary doctoral degree © Lutz Liebert, AVMZ TUD

► back to the top of the page


The 21. Century

[2000] [2001] [2002] [2003] [2004] [2005] [2006] [2007] [2008] [2009] [2010] [2011] [2012]


On 31 May, the Medical Theory Centre (MTZ) at the TU Dresden will be handed over. The MTZ includes seven institutes of pre-clinical research and clinical theory, the Experimental Centre of the Faculty of Medicine and approximately 3.000 square metres for research purposes. Additionally available are two lecture halls, classrooms for practical work and eight seminar rooms with a total capacity of approximately 700 seats.

Neubau des MTZ

New MTZ Building of medicine © Lothar Sprenger, Dresden

On 19 June 2000 Nobel prize winner Professor Günter Blobel, MD/ PhD (Rockefeller University, Laboratory of Cell Biology, New York) will be appointed honorary senator of the TU Dresden. With this appointment the university not only expresses its appreciation of the Nobel prize winner. Over and above that, Mr. Blobel, as an honorary senator, will contribute his  expert knowledge from his work in research and science to act as an advisor to  the Senate of TU Dresden

Nobelpreisträger Günter Blobel wird Ehrensenator der TU Dresden

The Nobel prize winner, Professor Günter Blobel, receives the Honorary Senator award at TU Dresden © Lutz Liebert, AVMZ TUD


On 14 March the regulations for the the management and the operation of the Biotechnological Centre of the TU Dresden (BIOTEC) will be adopted by the Senate. BIOTEC is a centrally located scientific institution aiming at using the rapidly developing rate of knowledge in modern biology and biochemistry in medicine, technology, and  nutritional development.

On 16 October the first part of the new building of the Chemical Institute at  TU Dresden will be handed over. This building offers excellent working conditions for the almost 200 employees of the Institute of Organic Chemistry, Food - and Biochemistry as well as Analytical Chemistry.

Neubau für die Chemischen Institute

New building for the Chemical Institute © Lothar Sprenger, Dresden


On 16 April the Max-Bergmann-Centre for Biomaterials will be inaugurated. The new research building was established in co-operation with TU Dresden and the Institute of Polymere Research (IPF). The scientific policy of the centre has the goal to become a structural model for close co-opration between universities and institutions of the Scientific Asociation "Gottfried Wilhelm Leibnitz".

For the first time in the history of the university there are more than
30.000 students enrolled, among them 8.5 percent international.


On 14 January the new Saxon State and University Library (SLUB) will open in Zellescher Weg. With its almost 30.000 square metres of principal utilisable space, six million media units and 990 seats in reading rooms, it is the fourth-largest and most modern library in Germany.

SLUB Dresden

Saxon State and University Library (SLUB) will open © TUD, Archiv

In May, TU Dresden celebrates its 175th anniversary with a week of festivities. Solely for this occasion Professor Wilfried Krätzschmar has composed a symphony, which will be performed at the "Große Haus" Theatre on 3 May. Further highlights are the first exhibition of "Fascination: Art + Technology" in  the new ALTANA-Gallery at the renovated Görges-Bau and the performance of the play "Alma: Journey Through Time" by Walther Henkel performed by students and staff members during the ceremony on 6 May.

Festwoche 175 Jahre TU Dresden

Week of festivities on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of TU Dresden © Lutz Liebert, AVMZ TUD

On 9 July Professor Hermann Kokenge will be elected new Rector of TU Dresden. He will succeed Prof. Dr. Achim Mehlhorn, who had held the position for three terms of office.

Rektorwahl 2003

Election of the Rector 2003 © Karsten Eckold, UJ, TUD

On 10 July the Saxon Prime Minister, Georg Mibradt, will sign the University Contract. With this, the universities in Saxony shall receive personnel and financial planning security until  2010. This contract, also called "university consense", means for TU Dresden that, among other things, the Faculty of Law will be transferred to Leipzig. Simultaneously, the courses of studies for civil engineering students as well as the students of trade and commerce will be concentrated on Dresden. The contract negotiations had been accompanied by students´ protests.

On 22 October the foundation-stone was laid for the new building of the Department of Computer Science.


Work started on the renovation of the TU Dresden building complex in Mommsenstraße – the former office of the rectorial board / the central administration / the old dining halls Alte Mensa.

In March 2004, a topping-out ceremony marks the completion of the new buildings for the TU Dresden biology institutes on Zellescher Weg.

May 2004 sees the official start of the Children’s University with more than 1,000 children registering for the lecture programme.

Kinderuniversität Dresden

Children’s University with more than 1,000 children © Doreen Liesch, TUD

In November 2004, a topping-out ceremony is held to celebrate the completion of the new building for the department of computer science in Nöthnitzer Straße.

Chipmakers AMD and Infineon in co-operation with Fraunhofer Society open the Fraunhofer Center Nanoelectronic Technologies (CNT).


Exzellenzcluster CRTD

Excellence cluster CRTD © CRTD

On 1 July 2005, the nuclear training reactor AKR-2 is commissioned by the TU Dresden scientific community. The new construction of the AKR-2 allows academics and students of TU Dresden to work at the most modern nuclear training reactor in Germany.

On 9 September 2005, ground is officially broken for the Diagnostic-Internal-Neurological Centre (DINZ) at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.


In January 2006, the former rector of TU Dresden, Professor Achim Mehlhorn, becomes president of the further education institution Dresden International University (DIU).

TUD is the only university in East Germany that was granted funding both of a graduate school (Dresden International Graduate School for Biomedicine and Bioengineering) and an excellence cluster (From Cells to Tissues to Therapies) in the first round of the excellence initiative for promoting top-class university research.
In October 2006, the new building complex for the computer science department was opened in Nöthnitzer Straße.


New building complex for the computer science department © Karsten Eckold, TUD

And also the new buildings for the biological institutes (Zellescher Weg) are brought into service.


New biology building © Lothar Sprenger, Dresden

On 1 November 2006, the rector’s post is filled for the term 2006 to 2009 after three ballots. The outgoing holder, Professor Hermann Kokenge, got the most votes in the third ballot.


In July, the administration building in Mommsenstraße is reopened after several years of renovation.

At the same time, extensive  renovation and the new addition to the dining hall complex Mensa Mommsenstraße are completed.

Moreover this is the year that TU Dresden receives the basic certificate of the audit ‘family-friendly university’. Along with the Saxon State Ministry of Science and Art and the Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research TU Dresden forms the core of the Dresden network Dresdner Netzwerk berufundfamilie (Dresden Network Career and Family) that is joined by further institutions.

Uni mit Kind

Dresden Network Career and Family © TUD, Pressestelle


On 17 July 2008, the topping-out ceremony for the second section of the new addition to the chemical institutes is held.

Late in autumn, students from allover Saxony come to Dresden to protest against the amendment of the Law on Higher Education in the Free State of Saxony.

Studenten-demonstration 2008

Student protest 2008 © TUD, Pressestelle


In January 2009 the TU Dresden teamed up with 14 strong partners from the world of science and culture to establish a unique, country-wide Alliance “DRESDEN-concept” (Dresden Research and Education Synergies for the Development of Excellence and Novelty). The goal is to increase the visibility of the Dresden research excellence.

In June, students once again took to the streets with the “Education Strike” action.

Studenten-demonstration 2009

Student protest 2009 © TUD, Pressestelle

On 14th October 2009, the extensively renovated and modernised “Trefftz-Bau” was reinaugurated.


The first part of the construction project of the Diagnostic Internistic Neurological Centre (DINZ) is completed. The “SIB – Staatsbetrieb Sächsiches Immobilien- und Baumanagement” (Saxonian, state-owned Real Estate and Construction Management company) hands over the extended “House 48” to the university hospital.

In June 2010, the extended Senate of the TU Dresden elected Prof. Dr. Dr.-Ing. Habil. Hans Müller-Steinhagen as rector for a five-year term of office. Prior to that, Prof. Müller-Steinhagen was the Director of the Institute of Technical Thermodynamics at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) as well as Professor and Director of the University of Stuttgart’s Institute for Thermodynamics and Thermal Engineering.

Investitur 2010

Investiture of Prof. Dr. Dr.-Ing. habil. Hans Müller-Steinhagen 2010 © TUD, Medienzentrum

In September 2012, the TU Dresden submits a comprehensive application package for the “Excellence Initiative” launched by the German state and federal government. The aim of the Excellence Initiative is to promote top-level research and to improve the quality of Germany as a university and science location, as well as to sustainably strengthen it.

In 2010, The Student Foundation Dresden has been selected as a “Hochschulperle” by the “Stifterverband” (an initiative by companies and foundations, which strives to consult, link and promote in the areas of education, science and innovation).

The “Stifterverband” honours small, innovative university projects every month and determines the annual winner by an online vote. The “Hochschulperle” aims to enhance the public visibility of exemplary projects. In October 2010, 7.900 new students started their studies at the TU Dresden.  In total, 36.000 students are enrolled at the TU Dresden.


On 3rd March, the “Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft” (DFG, German Research Foundation) and the “Wissenschaftsrat” (German Council of Science and Humanities) decided that the TU Dresden has cleared the first hurdle of the excellence competition and is now permitted to submit the complete application package for its Institutional Strategy as well as for the Cluster of Excellence (cfaed – Center of Advancing Electronics Dresden).

Veranstaltung zur Exzellenzinitiative

TU Dresden is one of eleven German Universities of Excellence since June 2012 © TUD, Pressestelle


On 15th June 2012, the TU Dresden has been awarded the title of “University of Excellence” as part of the Excellence Initiative Programme launched by the German federal and state governments, for its Institutional Strategy, the Cluster of Excellence “cfaed – Center for Advancing Electronics Dresden” and the two renewal proposals from the first application round.
► back to the top of the page