Erste Schritte

This page provides you with links and hints for your first weeks in Dresden. Since the German bureaucracy is not always easy to deal with, you need to do certain things the correct way and in the right order.

First of all, you should bring the following documents from home with you:

  • your passport with a valid student visa
  • health insurance: for EU members this is form E 111; students from other countries are required to take our health insurance in Germany
  • the letter of admittance from TUD, called "Zulassungsbescheid"
  • a letter from the Studentenwerk confirming your accommodation
  • for Chinese students only: APS certificate
  • your original high school diploma and Bachelor diploma with your academic records from your home university or other certificates of your studies at your home university.

Step 1: Registration

If your application is accepted by the Course Examination Board, the TUD registration office will send you the necessary documents for registration.
Tuition is free. You will have to pay a fee of 270 Euro per semester though (this includes free transportation in Dresden).

When you arrive in Dresden, you have to register at:

International Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt)
Contact Person: Mrs. Dr. Diecke
Address: Strehlener Str. 22, 6. OG
Phone: +49 351 46 332 327
Office Hours: Tuesday - Thursday 9:30am - 11:30am and 12:30pm - 3:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 12:00am

Step 2: Studentenwerk

First, go to the Studentenwerk with all your documents. There, you will obtain a bank account form and a room in a student residence hall. You must first pay a deposit of about 150 EUR.

Studentenwerk Dresden
Contact Person: Ms. Effner
Address: Fritz-Loeffler-Str. 18, Dresden
Phone: +49 351 4697 615
Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:00 am - 12:00pm
Tuesday  1:00pm - 3:00pm
Thursday 1:00pm - 5:00pm

Step 3: Hostels

It may occur that you cannot enter your room immediately after your arrival (e.g. because of your flight schedule, i.e. if you arrive during the weekend or very late at night). Please, consider booking a room at one of the following youth hostels. Prices are about 15 EUR - 20 EUR per night incl. breakfast. If possible, make a reservation in advance! Note: You are not required to become a member of the Youth Hostel Association as you are a prospective student of TUD.

Lollis Homestay (International Backpacker Hostel)
Contact Person: several
Address: Goerlitzer Str. 34, Dresden
Phone: +49 351 8108 458
Hostel Mondpalast Dresden
Contact Person: several
Address: Louisenstr. 77, Dresden
Phone: +49 351 5634 050
Jugendherberge Dresden (Youthhostel)
Contact Person: Mr. Schubert
Address: Maternistr.22, Dresden
Phone: +49 351 492 620

Step 4: The Student Residence

Next, you go to your assigned student residence hall and call the caretaker's office (open only at certain times). There, you will sign the transfer protocols and receive your keys. The caretaker will also give you a room inventory list; check it immediately and return one copy.

Step 5: The Einwohnermeldeamt

Immediately after your arrival, you need to register as a resident of our city at the Central Passport and Registration Office, the so-called "Einwohnermeldeamt". You should take your tenancy agreement and your passport with you. Here, you must fill out an additional form and retain it.

Contact Person: several
Address: Theaterstrasse 11, Dresden, room E/008
Phone: +49 351 488 60 70
Office Hours: Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm
Wed 8:00 am - 2:00pm
Sat 8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Step 6: The Bank

Now, go to a bank of your choice in order to open a bank account. Do not forget to bring your signed tenancy agreement, your passport and your "Zulassungsbescheid" along with you. You must open a bank account because the Studentenwerk prefers rent payment by direct debit. You fill in the Studentenwerk's bank account form and hand it over to the bank. The Studentwerk then debits your rent payment directly from your account every month. You can also pay your semester fee (see 1.) here.

Step 7: Medical Insurance

You must be registered with a medical insurance society. If you are from an EU member state, you need your passport and the E111 form and then you are given a certificate of insurance.
If you are from a non-EU member state, you need again your passport, tenancy agreement and your "Zulassungsbescheid".
Please, ask for a special medical insurance certificate for study purposes.
You will then receive further papers and a chip card (which serves as your member card) by mail. As soon as you have these items, you may officially register as a student at our university.
You can contact one of the listed Insurance Societies:

AOK Studentenservice
Contact Person: several
Address: Schnorrstr.10, Dresden
Phone: +49 180 2471 000
Office Hours: Mon/Tue/Thu 9:00am - 6:00pm
Wed/Fri 9:00am - 2:00pm
Barmer Gek
Contact Person: Ms Hauptmann
Address: Zellscher Weg 23-25a, Dresden
Phone: +49 800 33 206 021-0
Office Hours: Mon/Wed 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tue/Thu 8:00am - 6:00pm
Fri 8:00am - 4:00pm
Techniker Krankenkasse
Contact Person: several
Address: Georg-Baehr-Str. 8, Dresden
Phone: +49 351 4773773
Office Hours: Mon 10:00am - 4:00pm
Tue/Thu 8:30am - 6:00pm
Wed 8:30am - 4:00pm
Friday 8:30 am - 1:00 pm

Step 8: The University International Office again

Now, you go again to the International Office with

  • your certificate of medical insurance
  • your filled-in yellow registration form "Meldebogen"
  • the copy of your payment of semester fees, confirmed by the bank

If everything is fine, you will get the "Semesterbogen" (it contains your student identity card, student registration certificates and the payment form for the semester fee for the next semester) sent to your new student home address by mail.

Step 9: The Student Identity Card (Semester Ticket) and the Emeal

This small card allows you to use all services for students like internet, libraries, sport centers; it also acts as the semester ticket and is valid from the beginning of the semester onwards. You can use the semester ticket for all forms of public transport within the Dresden region as well as the S-Bahn.

What a clever invention! The Emeal enables you to pay your meals electronically in the Mensa. In order to get this chip, you need your student identity card + passport and at least 7 EUR. You take these to a cashier in any Mensa and you will receive the chip for a deposit of 7 EUR. You will have to load/reload your chip at loading machines at the Mensa.

Step 10: E-mail

As a registered DSE student, you can use the services of the Computing Center of our Department. You also get a university email address. We will organize a meeting with the technical staff in the first week of your study, so that you get a short introduction and your account details.

Step 11: The Immigration Authorities

For visiting the immigration authorities ("Ausl?nderbeh?rde"), you will have to arrange an appointment in advance. You can do this by phone, fax, e-mail or in person, at the Service Point.

Your visa for study purposes will expire after 3 months. Therefore, it is necessary to obtain an extension from the immigration authorities.

Go there with the right papers and not as a moaner! We have heard many reports from foreigners who have had unpleasant experiences there. You need (originals and copies):

  • completed form
  • visa
  • passport + copy
  • evidence of financial support + copy
  • bank account number and bank account contract
  • tenancy agreement + copy
  • certificate of residence from the Einwohnermeldeamt
  • certificate of medical insurance + copy
  • your "Zulassungsbescheid"
  • student identity card and student registration certificate
  • one biometric passport photograph
  • 110 EUR (cash or cash card)
Immigration Authorities (Ausländerbehörde Dresden)
Contact Person: several
Address: Theaterstr. 15, Dresden
Email for appointments:
Phone for appointments: +49 351 488 996 493
Office Hours Service Point
for appointments:
Tue/Thu 8:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm to 6:00 pm
Fri 8:00 am - 12:00pm


Welcoming week by the student representatives
Before the semester starts the student representatives host a welcoming week with introductions into the university and social events.

Advice Centre for foreign students (offered by the Studentenrat)
Foreign students have to deal with complicated problems during their studies, for example: difficulty of communication, money troubles or problems with the authorities. Therefore, you can contact our advisers:

Erasmus Group
The group organizes meetings for German and foreign students. Their office in Toepler Bau room 103, but it is easier to contact them at the kiosk at Mommsenstra?e.

Opening hours of the kiosk:
Mon 11.10am - 12.40pm
Tue 2.50pm - 4.20pm
Wed 1.00pm - 2.30 pm

More information:

Zu dieser Seite

Letzte Änderung: 24.08.2018