A to Z Information


Residential accommodation offered by Studentenwerk Dresden, the student service organisation, is the best way to live with fellow students and enjoy short distances to the university at reasonable cost. You will find all useful information on the student halls, their equipment and locations, on applying for a room and all contacts here:


However, you can also choose from a wide range of so-called shared flats/apartments and rooms in Dresden. Rooms in shared flats are often furnished and let for short periods of time as well. See the list of useful links below for your search for the best accommodation:


If you cannot find the apartment you like right away, you can live in a hostel first:

Mondpalast Dresden
Lollis Homestay
Jugendherberge Rudi Arndt
A&O Hostel

If you want to enjoy hotel like comforts for your first semester(s) or for your exchange semester at TU Dresden, check out The Student Hotel

Please find more information that will help you search for a new home here .

  • If you are interested in pursuing a degree programme at TU Dresden, please read more about the application process.
  • If you are interested in studying for only one or two semesters at TU Dresden, please check the infopage for exchange students.
Application Documents

The following documents must be submitted with your application (please check here where you have to apply):

  • Printed application for university admission with a personal signature (Please be aware, that the spelling on the application must correspond to the spelling in your passport)
  • Personal data sheet (short CV)
  • Passport copy (only the page with the name and photo) or ID Card
  • Officially authenticated copy of the original as well as officially authenticated translation (German or English) of the following documents:
    • High School leaving certificate with subject and grade summary, if applicable: Certificate of university entrance examination
    • If you have already studied in your home country or at other universities, please submit the subject and grade summary of all years, and if available: The graduation certificate
  • authenticated copy of proof of sufficient German language skills (except for English language Master degree programmes)
  • For applications for Master degree programmes, if the first university degree is not yet finished:
    • Certificate (with original signature or authenticated copy) regarding the estimated end of studies and confirmation that at least 80% of the Bachelor degree programme has been completed, incl. the current average grade (for a 4-year degree – 7 completed semesters, for a 3-year degree – 5 completed semesters)
  • Chinese, Mongolian and Vietnamese applicants have to submit the original of the certificate of the Academic Evaluation Centre at the German embassy (APS – Akademische Prüfstelle), see Information about the APS.
  • Students who are already enrolled in a German university have to submit as well these additional application form  (Nebenhörer).
  • If you want to change TU Dresden from another German university: Transcript of records and enrolment certificate.
  • Applicants for a higher semester have to submit course descriptions (German or English) for all attended courses .
  • Please note that for certain study programmes further special documents (e.g. English language skills, internships, application for aptitude assessment) must be submitted. Please familiarise yourself with the requirements prior to applying by visiting the respective pages in TU Dresden’s Student Information System.

Attention! Never submit the original certificates. Please only hand in officially authenticated copies. Your application documents will remain with uni assist for documentation purposes and will not be returned. We also recommend taking at least one or two additional copies of your officially authenticated application documents with you to Germany. You might require them for other purposes. Official authentication of foreign-language documents in Germany requires a lot of effort and is very time-consuming.

APS Certificate

Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam, who wish to apply for studies in Germany, need to submit a certificate issued by the Academic Test Centre (APS).

The APS office will check your documents. As part of this checking procedure you may be invited to an interview. Subsequently, a certificate is issued (APS Certificate) that is required for applying at German Higher Education institutions as one of the admission requirements. This certificate states that the documents handed in are genuine and that the applicant has obtained sufficient (academic) achievements to apply to a German university. It is necessary that applicants always submit the original APS certificate when applying to a university.

Click on the links below to find information about the various APS procedures:

Blocked Account

Before you come to Germany, you need proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay (often when applying for a visa). The required amount is around 8,800 EUR for one year and is considered a guarantee that you can finance your studies. For example, you can provide proof by submitting evidence of your parent’s income, a bank guarantee, a recognised scholarship or a security deposit in a so-called blocked account. Check with the German embassy or consulate in your country about the conditions.

Many international students use a blocked account to finance their studies in Germany. The money deposited into the account cannot be withdrawn until after you have arrived in Germany. It is important to request the documents in good time.

Information on the blocked account:


study in germany


German Student Insurance

Buddy Program (AEGEE)

In this buddy programme, students from Dresden look after international students so that they can easily adjust to everyday university life in Dresden.

The AEGEE Dresden team establishes contact between German and international students at TU Dresden and other universities in Dresden. The aim is to help international students to feel at home in Dresden and encourage international exchanges.



Officially certified copies of your certificates, both in their original language and corresponding translations in German or English, must be submitted with your application.

The certification confirms that a copy (duplicate) is identical with the original in terms of content. Directly certified copies must always be submitted. A simple copy of a certified document will not be accepted.

Official certifications can be obtained by any public authority in the Federal Republic of Germany that holds an official seal. Examples of this include:

  • City administration (registration offices, local authorities)
  • Courts
  • Notaries

Certifications from student organisations, solicitors and auditors cannot be accepted.

The following authorities abroad are authorised to issue official certifications:

  • Diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany
  • Agencies in the respective countries that are authorised to issue official certifications

What does an official certification contain?

Beglaubigung © TU Dresden Beglaubigung © TU Dresden

© TU Dresden

As you can see in the example, the official certification must at least contain:

  • an annotation that attests that the copy/duplicate matches the original (attestation clause)
  • the signature of the authenticator and
  • the mark of the official seal. An official seal usually contains an emblem. A simple text stamp is insufficient.

If the copy/duplicate consists of several individual pages, it must be verified that each page comes from the same certificate. It is sufficient if only one page is provided with an attestation clause provided that all pages are stamped over (e.g. in overlapping layers) so that part of the official seal print appears of each page (see illustration at the top left of the example).

Of course each page can also be certified separately. If this is the case, please make sure that your name is on each copy of the original. If it is not specified on every page, it must be incorporated in the attestation clause together with a note about the type of certificate.

If both sides of the copy contain information, the attestation clause must refer to both sides (e.g. “This is to certify that this copy (front and reverse side) corresponds to the original”). If this is not the case, the front and back pages must be certified separately.

TU Dresden cannot recognise the document if the certifications do not meet the aforementioned requirements. There is not legal claim to the return of the documents.

Change of address
  • As a student at TU Dresden you can change your postal address yourself after moving, online in the student portal.
  • You do not need to further inform the International Office.
  • Please do not forget to register your new address at the city of Dresden’s citizens’ office (Bürgerbüro)
Change of Course

A change of course is when

  • the course or subject,
  • the envisaged degree or
  • type of course (part-time/full-time course)

is changed. This also affects students that have successfully completed a course (e.g. bachelor degree) and want to then do a second course (e.g. master’s degree).

Please read about how and when you have to apply for a change of course.

Generally the same admission and selection requirements apply for the application as for those who have not yet studied anything. Any previous time you have spent studying does not count as a waiting period if you apply for a course of study with restricted admission.

Enrolling in a new course of study or changing subject is normally only possible at the beginning of the upcoming semester.

In accordance with Section 18 Higher Education Act in Saxony, a change in course is not possible if there are grounds for refusal, particularly if the applicant:

  • has not passed the required examination for completion of the selected course of study (Higher Education Act in Saxony Section 18, 6)
  • has not produced the performance record in the selected course of study or a course with the same specialised orientation as prescribed in the examination regulations (Higher Education Act in Saxony Section 18, 7)

You can find a list of all important contact persons in the international office under "About us".

If you have general questions regarding the organisation of your studies or the application process, you can also contact the ServiceCenterStudium.

Cultural Office at TUD

The Cultural Office supports students in getting to know the country, the people and in socializing by offering a a broad cultural and leisure programme.
To find out more please see the website of the
Cultural Office at the International Office.

ERASMUS Contact Persons

There is a contact for exchange students in every faculty. They provide you with support in the following areas:

  • Advice on specific student projects
  • Help with selecting courses and creating your timetable
  • Signing the leaning agreement
  • Information on the faculty’s examination registration procedure
  • Information on preparing the transcript of records and its issuance, where necessary

Please check the list of contacts for contact details.


The ERASMUS-Initiative at the TU Dresden is a student association that organises events, parties and excursions for international students at TU Dresden. Please see their website to find out more:  ESN Dresden

German Language Skills

Both international applicants and German applicants with a foreign school leaving certificate have to pass a university entrance language test for courses held in German. A corresponding language certificate must be submitted with the application.

Information about the required language skills

Health Insurance

Students from EEA (European Economic Area) Countries

Please have an international health insurance card (EHIC – European Health Insurance Card) issued by your health insurer in your home country. You must take this card to a health insurer upon arrival in Dresden for a so-called ‘exemption certificate’. This confirms the validity of your insurance in Germany and exempts you from compulsory insurance. You must submit this certificate to the International Office.

Students from other countries

Students that are not from EEA countries and are under 30 years old must be insured at a statutory health insurer in Germany (costs around € 80 per month).

Please note! Travel health insurance from your home country is not accepted! Please only take out travel health insurance for the period of your arrival or for additional events during your stay in Germany!

Students in the introductory course or during the orientation semester and students over 30 yo

Students over 30 years old are no longer obliged to submit proof of health insurance to the university. However, students that are required to have a visa must verify their health insurance at the immigration authorities. Joining as a voluntarily insured person at a statutory health insurer or taking out a recognised private comprehensive health insurance is required.
Please find out from the immigration authorities what kind of insurance is recognised.

Further Information

overview of private health insurance companies

overview of public health insurance companies

More information about health insurance for international students

International Tutor Programme

In the tutor programme, students (tutors) help foreign students. There is at least one tutor per faculty. They look after both students in that faculty that want to do a degree at TU Dresden and exchange students (they are only in Dresden for 1-2 semesters).

The aim of the tutor programme is to provide foreign students with support both before and during their studies. They give especially intensive support at the beginning of studies at TU Dresden. It does not matter if this involves new students or those who have been here for a while.

Learning Agreement
  • With your application to study at the TU Dresden, please create a learning agreement detailing your academic intentions (form: Learning Agreement) Then, have the coordinator of your exchange programme at your home university sign your learning agreement and include it with your other application documents.
  • Your intentions will be looked over by the coordinator responsible for the faculty in which you intend to enrol, in order to make sure that your plans can be realistically accomplished.
  • The standard number of credits to be attempted every semester is 20 - 30 ECTS. Individual requests to deviate from that number can be approved by your home university and the faculty coordinator at the TU Dresden.
  • If you would like to do a research project or paper at the TU Dresden, please explain this in your learning agreement. Please find yourself a supervisor for your project at the corresponding institute.
  • If you have specific questions about instruction, earning ECTS credit or choosing a topic for your research or paper, please contact the ERASMUS contact person at the desired faculty.

Please look at the overview of courses and events offered at the TU Dresden on the next page. You will find, first of all, the Bachelor programmes and some Master courses in each faculty.
For unlisted subjects, please look at the homepages of the appropriate faculties.

  • In order to make a choice regarding the classes you want to attend, please have a look at the current courses offered and module descriptions of the desired study programme. The module descriptions can be found at the end of the study guidelines of each programme, in the module description book or in the ECTS Course Catalogues.
  • Please name the correct title of your desired classes/modules, if possible add the course number. If you want to participate in classes of other departments, please also note this down in your learning agreement with exact details.
  • Should you have specific questions concerning your Course of Study, lectures or ECTS you may refer to the ERASMUS Contact Person  of your department.
  • In general, the language of instruction at the TU Dresden is German. In some courses there might be also some lectures in English. If you have questions about the language of instruction please contact your ERASMUS contact person or the respective professor. Courses of study that are completely taught in English are especially marked in the overview.
  • Please note: The catalogues of the upcoming semester and the schedules are published shortly before the semester starts. It may be necessary to make some changes to the learning agreement at the beginning of your studies.
Leave of Absence
Opening a Bank Account

We recommend opening an account at the Sparkasse bank, or another bank, when enrolling. You need the following documents to open an account:

  • Passport or ID card
  • Registration confirmation from the residents’ registration office
  • Letter of admission for a course of study or student ID
Preparatory Course

For international applicants, whose command of German is still insufficient, TU Dresden offers free courses (the so-called Propädeutikum or Preparatory Course) as preparation for the DSH exam. Please read our information page about the programme and the application requirements.


To continue as a registered student, each student must re-register for the following semester, before the current semester comes to an end.

Re-registration is carried out by paying the semester fee via bank transfer from your account. Please check all further informaiton including the current amount and deadlines.

The Semester Print-Out/Student Pass sheet for the new semester will be sent to you by post after the semester fee has been paid. Therefore it is important that you immediately inform the university of any change of address!

Regional Ambassadors
  • Are you an exchange student and want to find out about the conditions in your host country before you come?
  • Are you coming to TU Dresden from abroad to study/do a PhD and want to clarify any questions about the city and university before you come?
  • Are you a graduate and want to contact international alumni?

Ask someone who knows their way around: More than 450 TUD alumni are around for you as regional ambassadors.

Register with the Resident’s Registration Office

Registration at the registration office

If you move into an apartment or room (hall of residence, shared flat) in Dresden, you must register with the local registration office within two weeks. If you are a foreign national and are registering in Dresden for the first time, please go to the Central Registration Office Altstadt to do so.

Please check the  address and office hours of the Citizens’ Service Centre.Please bring along the following documents for registration or re-registration:

  • passport or national identity card
  • tenancy agreement with the student service organisation (Studentenwerk) or the landlord stating your exact address

Please do not forget to also inform TU Dresden of your new address after moving house. For this purpose, please use the function “change of address” on the Studierendenportal.

Foreigners‘ registration office

Students from EU countries do not need to apply for a residence permit with the foreigners‘ registration office Dresden.

  • EU nationals and citizens of EEA countries can apply for a written confirmation (Freedom of Movement Certificate) of their right of residence in Germany with the foreigners‘ registration office (Law on Freedom of Movement pursuant to § 2 FreizügG/EU).
  • Please read up on on the Freedom of Movement Certificate and download the application form if necessary.

Students from non-EU countries are required to apply for a residence permit with the foreigners‘ registration office within 3 months after entering the Federal Republic of Germany. If your stay does not exceed 3 months, it suffices to register with the residents’ registration office.

Government service telephone number 115

Call 115 to obtain information on public administration service, such as registration of a new address, registration and re-registration of vehicles, application for a resident parking permit etc.

Further information on the central government service telephone number.

Repeat Applicants


If you had already applied in a previous semester at TU Dresden and had received a notification/admission, but were unable to start your studies, you do not have to re-apply with uni assist or the TU Dresden application portal. Please use the Application form for re-applicants.

Please send your application form within the deadline for the requested degree programme with the following documents to the International Office:

  • printed and signed application form
  • copy of the last letter/notification of TU Dresden
  • if necessary, proof of current German course (e.g. DSH revision course or TestDaF-course)
  • if necessary, other documents required by your desired programme (only required if you want to change your degree programme with the re-application)

    Technische Universität Dresden
    Akademisches Auslandsamt
    Strehlener Str. 22
    01069 Dresden

"selma" means selfmanagement. It is the portal of TU Dresden for students and applicants.

If you are already a student at TU Dresden, you can use it to download personal documents (e.g. enrolment certificates, application form for leave of absence, exmatriculation or request for refund). You can also change your personal data, like your address, on selma.

Semester Payment

All regularly enrolled students must pay a nominal „student fee“ that covers the Studentenwerk, the Studentenschaft, and the so-called „Semester Ticket“ (this student ticket also serves as transportation pass for busses, trains, trams, and S-Bahns in and around the greater Dresden area).

The semester fee also has to be paid by exchange and double degree students.

Please check the information regarding re-registration and the actual semester fee.


Applicants with foreign higher education entrance qualifications/school leavers' certificates that are not considered equivalent to the German Abitur have to attend a preparatory course at a Studienkolleg before starting their studies. By taking the course they acquire a subject-specific university entrance qualification. For further information please go to Studienvorbereitung (university preparation).

Termination of Enrolment - End of your Stay

[Termination of Enrolment]
[Semester Ticket Refund]
[Residents’ Registration Office]
[Health Insurance]

Termination of enrolment

At the end of your study period, you must terminate your enrolment with TU Dresden. Please use the new student portal Studierendenportal. You have to fill out the form for your termination (Exmatrikulation), send it online AND print it out. Please send the form by regular Mail to the International Office or come to the service desk during opening hours.

  • You can terminate your enrolment in advance, e.g. when your departure date has been determined.
  • After successfully having terminated your enrolment, you will receive a confirmation of your termination of enrolment.
  • Please read about the legal basis for this requirement.

Semester Ticket Refund

  • If you terminate enrolment during the semester, you can apply for a proportionate refund of the prepaid semester ticket. You can apply for a refund with the student council Studentenrat.
  • Please fill in the Application  for a refund and hand it in at the Studentenrat.


  • Make sure you bring back all books and other media you borrowed from the library.
  • Before you depart from Dresden, please terminate your library membership in the SLUB.

Residents’ Registration Office

Health Insurance

  • In case you have bought health insurance in Germany, you should consider cancelling your policy.}
  • Submit your certificate of withdrawal from the student register to your insurance provider for this purpose.

The TestAS (test for foreign students) refers to a central, standardised scholastic capability test for foreign applicants. The test was developed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and is administered in licensed test centres around the world. The TestAS result gives applicants from abroad information about where they stand in comparison to other applicants. Good test results mean an improved chance of getting a place to study at a university in Germany.

At TU Dresden the TestAS result will be taken into account as an additional proof of qualification as part of the admission procedure. Places on courses with a restriction on admission will be assigned to foreign students from non-EU countries within the framework of a selection process. Applicants that successfully take the TestAS get a bonus compared to other applicants with otherwise identical aptitude, which increases admission chances.

You will find information about how to register and the TestAS centres on the TestAS homepage. You can also look at example exercises on this page.

Transcript of Records

Exams/Earning Credits

During non-degree studies, it is intended that you complete the required work and sit for the examinations that were agreed on in your learning agreement.  

  • Each faculty has its own procedures concerning the registration for examinations and/or registration to participate in seminars/lectures. Please check their specific requirements, if registration for classes is necessary.
  • If you have further questions at the beginning of your study period, please do not hesitate to contact the tutors (of your department), the ERASMUS contact person or the examination office responsible for your subject.

Transcript of Records

The faculties issue Transcripts of Records (documenting credits earned at the TU Dresden).

  • The procedure for issuance of transcripts varies among the faculties. Credits attempted will either be listed on the Transcript of Records form, signed in the faculty, after the end of your stay in Dresden. In some faculties, transcripts will be issued at the examination office.

Please note:

  • Every student must pick up the transcript him/herself!
  • The TU Dresden will NOT automatically send your transcript to your home university.
  • If your exam grades are not yet available when you leave, please make arrangements with the proper office to have your transcript sent to you.

Officially certified copies of your references or documents must generally be submitted in German or English and have been issued by a publicly appointed and sworn translator. (Certificates that have been issued in English do not have to be translated again).

The translation must be tacked together and stamped with the copy of the original, so that it can be clearly seen that they belong together.

You will find an online database on the Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators (BDÜ) website in which you can look for a publicly appointed translator.

Please also note that an officially certified copy of your original certificates (in the original language) must be submitted regardless of this translation. You will find more information under the point ‘certification’.

TU Dresden cannot recognise the document if the certifications and translations do not meet the aforementioned requirements. There is not legal claim to the return of the documents.


Currently, TU Dresden does not charge any tuition fees for pursuing your first degree studies.

Some postgraduate (Master) programmes, however, are charging course fees. Please check the  SINS to find out whether your desired programme charges any tuition fees.


If you want to attend a language course or study in Germany, you will usually require a visa.

This does not include EU citizens and citizens from certain non-EU countries. You will find an overview of the states exempt from the visa requirements on the Federal Foreign Office pages. Citizens from these countries only need a residence permit for study purposes. This residence permit must be applied for within three months of arrival at the relevant immigration authorities.

Citizens from all other countries have to apply for a visa in their home country with a German representative – the embassy or a consulate.
There a three different kinds of visa:

•    Language course visa
•    Applicant visa
•    Student visa

Please do not travel to Germany with a tourist visa under any circumstances. Converting a visa for the purpose of studying or learning the German language is not possible after arrival!

Prerequisites for a visa

We recommend that you get information regarding specific conditions and prerequisites as early as possible from the German embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany in your home country because there are particular provisions for each country and the processing time can be lengthy (up to 3 months).

You usually have to meet the following conditions for a visa:
You must have enough financial resources for the entire duration of your stay in the Federal Republic of Germany to cover your livelihood as well as the costs of the language course/studies. Evidence for this must potentially be produced at the embassy or consulate.
All necessary application documents must be complete. Please gather all information about the required documents at the respective responsible embassy or consulate general.


A language course visa only authorises you to attend a language course and cannot usually be converted into a visa for the purpose of studying. If you do not want to exclude the option of studying in Germany after the language course, you must indicate this in your visa application!

A special prerequisite for a language course visa is the confirmation from a German language school regarding registration on a language course, which must include at least 20 hours of lessons per week. There are several language schools in Dresden that meet these requirements and will issue the corresponding confirmation of registration for the embassy.

A visa is initially issued for 3 months and can be extended by the immigration authorities in Germany for a further 9 months. The residence permit for attending a language course will be issued for one year at the most.


If you have not yet been admitted, you can get an applicant visa, which is usually valid for 3 months and can be extended by a maximum of 6 months in Germany. In this period you must provide evidence of either direct admission to a course or a conditional acceptance on to an introductory course for foreign students or a preparatory German course/introductory course.
An applicant visa therefore entitles you to attend a language course as preparation for your studies.

The prerequisite is that you have a school leavers’ qualification (secondary level 2), which entitles you to study at a German university or attend an introductory course for foreign students. You can find out whether your school leavers’ qualification meets these conditions in the DAAD database.

Please bring all documents, such as your school leavers’ certificate and, if available, university certificates, which you need for your admission request, both the original and the certified translation, with you to Germany in order to avoid any delays when applying at a university.


If you have already been approved for studying at TU Dresden, you must then apply for a student visa at the German embassy or consulate in your home country.

Applicants from countries for which there are no visa requirements for travelling to Germany (see above) only require a residence permit for the purpose of studying. This residence permit must be applied for within three months of arrival at the relevant immigration authorities.

You will find an overview of the visa requirements on the Federal Foreign Office’s website.

Briefkasten AAA © Amac Garbe

International Office - International Students

Contact Information
Address work

Visitor Address:

Bürogebäude Strehlener Str. (BSS), 6th floor, room 671

01062 Dresden

Address postal

Postal Address:

Technische Universität Dresden Akademisches Auslandsamt

01062 Dresden

work Tel.
+49 351 463-42000
fax Fax
+49 351 463-37738

Opening Hours:

09:30 - 11:30
13:00 - 15:30
09:30 - 11:30
13:00 - 15:30

Those office hours are open hours, i.e. you can come by without an appointment in case of general questions or problems. If you need special counselling please make an appointment.

About this page

Last modified: Mar 12, 2018